Dave Gallerizzo, CEO of Fig Leaf Software, will be leading two pre-conference sessions at the National Association of Government Webmasters conference in San Antonio, Texas.
Sass Training (Innovative Tools and Technology Track)
The playbook for Web Design of U.S. government websites, as outlined by CIO.GOV calls for the use of standards in web design that are designed to set a new bar for simplicity and consistency across government services, while providing for plug-and-play design and code. One of the most important standards in play today for creating error free Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) is Sass, or, Syntactically Awesome Style Sheets.
Sass is the most mature, stable, and powerful professional grade CSS extension language in the world. Sass lets you use features that don't exist in CSS yet like variables, nesting, mixins, inheritance and other nifty goodies that make writing CSS fun again. Once you start tinkering with Sass, it will take your preprocessed Sass file and save it out as a normal CSS file that you can use in your web site. The half day course will cover Sass and Compass (a CSS authoring framework for Sass) development essentials. Whether government webmasters are developing a static site, a dynamic site with a CMS (such as Drupal, Ektron, Sitefinity, Episerver or CommonSpot, for instance), or building an advanced web-based application (Angular), webmasters find that Sass is an indispensable tool for taming and optimizing CSS.
In this half-day session, Dave will provide the federal, state and local government webmasters with three key takeaways?
- Learn how to refactor a very long and difficult to maintain CSS file into a set of .scss (Sassy CSS) files that are easy to maintain
- Learn how to restructure your CSS for optimal maintainability and produce minified production builds
- Learn how to use advanced CSS tricks such as base-64 encoding of images to significantly increase the performance of your web sites and web applications
Ready, Set, Drupal 8 (Intro to Drupal for Government)
This half-day hands-on session will teach federal, state and local government web professionals how to get started wtih Drupal 8. No prior technical knowledge is needed to learn about Drupal 8 in this session since it is designed for webmasters, web marketers, project managers and IT directors. Dave will teach the following concepts:
- How to navigate the Drupal 8 administrative Interface
- Add content with Drupal core content tools
- Display content with core views tool
- Modify the look of a Drupal site
- Lean how other state, local and federal government agencies use Drupal 8
Fig Leaf has been a proud sponsor of the National Association of Government Webmasters annual conference for five years, sharing relevant web and digital experiences on subjects of inbound marketing and public affairs, mobile and responsive web design, Google Apps for Work (GMAIL, Google Maps, Google Search), and innovative technology subjects.